The Horror!

Tuesday, May 18, 2010


Did you hear? Franchise player Hanley Ramirez was dogging it last night, slowly jogging after an errant ball that he had inadvertantly kicked into foul territory, allowing two runs to score (Here's the video). Hanley was benched by manager Fredi Gonzalez after the inning was over, but boy are people pissed. Hanley is now an "embarrassment" who might not "have enough heart to play this game the way it should be played every day."

I'm not going to defend Hanley, but I will say if you think the team would be better off with a replacement-level player, kindly never talk to me so I will not be forced to wrangle with the faulty logic which underlies your opinions. I don't think anyone is terribly surprised to see him loaf at this point, and if forced to choose between Hanley or no Hanley, I will pick Hanley every time.

UPDATE: Now Hanley's just being a dick. Joe Capozzi has the full transcript. It will be a fun summer in the Marlins clubhouse...

Follow-up: Michael at Marlin Maniac asks an important question: Do the rest of the Marlins really need Hanley to lead by example? And he even gives us a plug to boot... Also, as always, Joe Posnanski has wisdom to shed. I like how he was able to criticize Hanley's loafing without getting sanctimonious. Every time I get mad that Skip Bayless exists, I am comforted by knowing that Posnanski provides an essential cosmic counterbalance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP