Introducing... The Miami Marlins

Friday, March 27, 2009

One of the ramifications of the new stadium deal is the stipulation that the Marlins change their name to the Miami Marlins upon moving into their new home in 2012(ish - I highly doubt a complex construction project in South Florida will finish on time). I have long thought this to be a good idea for a number of reasons, chief among them being the Marlins are a South Florida team, and having them (officially) represent the entire state of Florida makes little sense (especially with the Rays playing in Tampa beginning in 1997). In fact, some Marlins fans have wanted the team to change their geographical designation even before the inaugural season in 1993. I remember a shirt worn by a little league coach of mine which featured the main Marlins logo, except the letters 'F-L-O-R-I-D-A' were individually crossed out, and 'M-I-A-M-I' was screened above the crossed-out letters.


Using Florida as a geographical designation for a Miami team was made all the more anachronistic by the fact that long before the Florida Marlins existed, the Miami Marlins played in the Independent League from 1955 to 1960 (The team later moved to San Juan, PR, and Charleston, SC). The Miami Marlins resurfaced in 1961 and 1962 as a Class D team for the Philadelphia Phillies, and again from 1981-1989 as a team in the Florida State League.

But now that the Marlins are set to become the Miami Marlins in 2012, what changes will be made to their uniform? Fish Stripes examined this question last year, but let's go a little more in depth, shall we? The most obvious change we'll be seeing is the hat logo. The current hat logo features the familiar 'F' with an interlocking marlin, but the F will have to go. The team's batting practice hats feature a similar template with an 'M' substituted for the F. This could end up becoming the team's new hat logo, but I would hope they dial down the teal. We all remember these monstrosities, and hopefully the Marlins front office will remember that teal is best used as an accent color. Filling in the 'M' in black instead of teal gives you the image below, which I think looks good, while preserving most of the elements of the current hat logo:

As for the rest of the uniform, there have already been a few concepts thrown around the internet, but I think they use a bit too much teal for my taste. The Fish could try and revive the old 1980s Miami Marlins uniforms (which they have worn in throwback games) or the 1950s Miami Marlins uniforms, but the orange-and-blue color scheme is a bit too reminiscent of another NL East team. I don't think the Marlins want to look like the Mets. They could use the same template with the current teal-and-black color scheme, but that seems a little bland to me (unfortunately, there are few photos of the Miami Marlins throwbacks to be found on the internet - any help finding some more images would be appreciated).

When it comes to uniform changes, Paul Lukas of Uni Watch has a saying: "Is it good or is it stupid?" Lukas is not a fan of messing with concepts that already look good (see for instance the Ditch the Black campaign), and I feel the same way. I like the current Marlins uniforms. The pinstripes are a classic look, and now that teal is just an accent color, everything seems to fit together nicely. Replace "Florida" with "Miami" on the away unis, and insert the new hat logo from above in the spaces featuring the current hat logo, and you've got yourself newish uniforms that preserve a good look. Perhaps the Marlins will opt instead for a completely new design and/or color scheme, but the odds of coming up with a unique design that is also an improvement on the current design seem slim to me.

16 comments:

Ted Hill March 27, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

I completely agree in making the changes minimal and I am a big fan of using the current BP cap with the black "M." I wouldn't be opposed to using the older Miami Marlins stuff, but they should darken the blue so we don't look like the Mets.

Unknown April 8, 2009 at 8:42 AM  

I think we should use a more traditional look for hats and uniforms. ie: New York, Boston, Los Angeles. No logo on hat.

Ted Hill April 8, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

I like the traditional look, for the teams with tradition. Otherwise, I don't like the plain single letter on the cap. Maybe instead of an M with a marlin, it could just be an M with a fin or tail or something else.

Unknown April 13, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

I think the reason the Boston, LA, and NY hats are so iconic is because they all have interesting typography and a long history. The Marlins could come up with a good M, but it will take a while for the hat logo to become iconic. On the other hand, the Angels, Mariners, and Brewers, to name just a few, all augment their letters with logos, to a nice effect I think.

Unknown April 19, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

I think marlins should just keep the same uniforms and the same name...Fl Marlins sounds better than miami marrlins....everything looks good the way it is....plus i have seen the how they they want the new uniforms to look like and they like to much like the hurricanes

Unknown April 19, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

Harsim, where did you see that? I hadn't found any specifics, and would be curious to know...

Ted Hill April 19, 2009 at 10:50 AM  

I would agree that in a perfect world they would remain the Florida Marlins but it is in the stadium agreements that they change the name. Have you really seen any authentic designs or prototypes or just some concepts thrown around?

Unknown May 19, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

My two cents, being a die hard traditional baseball fan... lose the pin stripes for good. The Twins dumped them this year and I don't miss them. In fact as much as I hate the Yankees IMHO they deserve the pinstripes and no other team should wear them. Love the fish in the M design for the hats and would even go as far as making Caribbean Blue the main color to replace the black then keep the teal as an accent. Would love to see "Miami" on the road unis as well. And NO MORE COLORED JERSEYS. FOR ANYONE!

Anonymous,  June 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

Well Here is what I know... The Marlins will be going to a Blueish Gray instead of teal.

The Colors will be... White, Black, Blue-Gray, & Burnt Orange(Dark Orange).

Anonymous,  June 20, 2011 at 1:29 AM  

yah i keep hearing about orange as a possible new color for the fish...can anyone give me some clarification on this?!?!?!?!

lauderdale80. August 2, 2011 at 8:19 PM  

I think this is DISGUSTING what about state pride dont you think miami has enough sports teams representing their city ?!?!? I for one cant stand miami and believe the change of this sacred logo to be an ABOMINATION.

Hialeah Love October 18, 2011 at 8:55 PM  

People who cant stand Miami dont know nothing about the City or cant stand Cubans ...but thats why Miami Marlins...in little Havana ...Get it!!!????...my ingnorant friend : we love baseball!!!!!....w/ love.

lauderdale80. October 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM  

WOW ... ignorance must be bliss cause you know nothing of what you speak of my friend. I am Cuban, and a Diehard Florida Marlins fan, was raised on Marlin pride ... "Florida Marlin" pride !!! Don't get me wrong MIA has its up's and downs when it comes to my liking but to have MIA take over my beloved club with the name and logo change (which looks gay as hell) is a disgrace to the history and legacy of all that this young club has accomplished. YES it was great that they represented Florida as a whole for everyone that is from Florida and as you put it ... LOVES BASEBALL and lives in a part of our state with no real major team in any sport category. Im a Florida Boy to the day I die and to have that spineless owner switch on us is an abomination ... MIA will profit from this venture but WTF MIA you gota force yourself on the only team I can identify with being a CUBAN from Broward County this is just horrific PS. I spent my earlier youth being raised in Little Havana I can only imagine how Brooklyn felt when the Dodgers moved to LA. HEART BROKEN as I feel now and I post this with no regret. I am fine with the location but very distraught and ashamed with the owners lack of respect and blatant disregard to the tradition, history, and legacy of the FLORIDA MARLINS !!! w/love The Broward County CUBAN .RIP. FL Marlins.

Hialeah Love October 19, 2011 at 12:18 AM  

Laureldel80... you right, im the ignorant...what do u expect from an old cuban living in Iowa!!!..just rooting 4 Miami, the City i love ...i respect you, but never like that black in the Florida Marlins..Im not sure, but maybe the new colors there not that bad, and yes, i fill you about new Miami name...but 4 me, i have my new team ...never had one ...Industriales die hard..nothing bro...just little bit xait..!!!!... jajajaja ...thats all
Un abrazo.

lauderdale80. October 19, 2011 at 12:24 AM  

I understand and meant no disrespect it's just that this is an emotional topic and I was very carefully in my choice of words despite my anger for this change and conversation lol how the hell does a Cuban end up in Iowa ?!?!? It's ok im stuck in Vega's !!!

MarlinLuva,  October 20, 2011 at 12:21 PM  

I love the Marlins whatever is pit out on the 11th I will purchase for my family and myself. Let's go Fish!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP