MDH Off-Topic: The Draft

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

MLB announced this afternoon that the first three rounds of the amateur draft will be broadcast live from the studios at the MLB Network. The draft will begin at 6 pm on June 9 (a Tuesday), allowing seamheads to drool over not-yet-fully formed prospects and question their teams' collective IQ a la the NFL Draft. The rest of the draft will be held over the following two days via telephone conference call, which is the usual protocol.

I think this will probably be a good thing for MLB, though I doubt the MLB draft will ever approach the cultural cache of the NFL Draft (though I'm sure no one expects it to). But now that the MLB has decided to make its amateur draft a television event, who will become baseball's Mel Kiper? Judging from the MLB Network's roster of personalities, it does not appear the network has a draft guru on staff.

Allow me to throw my hat in the ring. If MLB is looking for someone to offer uncertain evaluations with uncommon certainty, somone unafraid to criticize general managers for bad picks, and someone whose unconsciounably bad hair will distract viewers, then I'm their man. I've already submitted my resume, so it's pretty much a done deal. I won't be able to do it alone, though. If you'd like to be my personal assistant, please submit a resume and cover letter in the comments.

1 comments:

Ben Hyman April 29, 2009 at 1:37 PM  

Real Baseball Intelligence (RBI), a leading resource in the evaluation of amateur baseball talent and draft coverage, is currently taking orders for its 2009 Baseball Draft Guide. The Guide includes our Top 400 rankings, hundreds of scouting reports, a mock draft and more. Learn more at withthefirstpick.net/guide

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP