Off-Day Guide: June 23

Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Marlins are traveling to Seattle for a home series against the Mariners starting tomorrow (we're serious, the Marlins were pre-empted by a U2 concert at Sun Life Stadium). Plenty to do tonight, even without a game.

TV

NBA Draft (ESPN, 7:00): I'm not a draft-hater, but I just can't watch. I get bored quickly.
A League of Their Own (AMC, 8:00): Ladies playing baseball! Tom Hanks! Obligatory swing dancing scene!
NBC Comedy reruns (NBC, 8:00): Parks and Rec is showing the spectacular "Ron & Tammy: Part Two," while Community is airing the wonderful bottle episode "Cooperative Calligraphy."
Mahler Symphony 1 (PBS, 10:00): Michael Tilson Thomas conducts the San Francisco Symphony. If you're not hip to Mahler, I have no use for you.
Futurama (Comedy Central, 10:00): I have not caught up with the show since Comedy Central started airing new episodes. Perhaps I'll start tonight.
Louie (10:30, fx): Season premier of one of my favorite shows on television. Louis CK is a comedic genius, and the first season of Louie did not disappoint. Preceded by Wilfred, a new show I'll be checking out.

Book

I'm reading Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, which is a great read if you like to marvel at science-y stuff. Bryson as always keeps his narrative fresh and interesting.

Culture

Ted and I are both loving the new Bon Iver album, save for the last track, which channels Bruce Hornsby c. 1987. Here's Bon Iver playing Holocene, on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon the other day (it's my favorite track from the album):

           

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template The Professional Template II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP